Friday, November 02, 2007

Upgrading from my G4 to macBook Pro

I recently upgraded my G4 to a new macBook Pro 2.4Ghz. The process of migrating data from the old to the new laptop was performed using the migration wizard over firewire. I had several gigs of data, therefore the process took a while but for most part it was smooth except for 1 thing:
Permissions to certain old files were denied as I changed the username on my new system.

So in order to access the old files owned by the old user account I had to add my new user to the old group.
The group information is stored in the netinfo database on mac os x unlike traditional unix/linux systems where it is stored in /etc/groups file.

The command I used was:
nicl -raw /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb -append /groups/olduserid users newuserid
I also added myself to the admin group which will give me access to root files.
nicl -raw /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb -append /groups/admin users newuserid

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm it appears like your website ate my first comment
(it was super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I had written and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any suggestions for novice blog writers? I'd genuinely appreciate it.


Stop by my page; best registry cleaner
Also see my webpage: best registry cleaner